At holiday time, it's fun to get together with friends and family. On a chilly evening, it's nice to have a hot drink after caroling, viewing holiday lights, and other fun activities. The following are a few ideas for hot alcoholic drinks to enjoy on a cold winter evening.
Hot Alcoholic Drinks to Warm Up the Holidays
- Mulled wine: In a saucepan over a stove, warm up one bottle red wine, orange slices, cloves, cinnamon sticks, star anise, honey, and brandy. Keep on low heat and serve when ready.
- Irish Coffee: Place 1 tsp of brown sugar in two mugs. Pour hot coffee into each mug and stir sugar. Add one ounce of Irish whisky to each mug. Garnish with whipped cream and shaved chocolate for topping.
- Apple Cider Plus: In a slow cooker, combine one gallon apple cider, 1 1/2 cup whiskey, 3 cinnamon sticks, and 1/2 cup caramels. Cook on low for 2-3 hours. Make apple cups by slicing off the top of 8 apples, cutting out the inside (leave a little bit of the bottoms). Brush exposed areas of apples with lemon juice to prevent browning. Pour hot cider mixture into apple cups. Serve with cinnamon sticks.
- Hot Buttered Rum: Whip together one cup softened butter and 3/4 cup brown sugar. Mix 2 cups softened vanilla ice cream and 2 teaspoons cinnamon with butter-sugar mixture. Keep in freezer at least two hours or until ready. In a saucepan, heat two cups apple cider. Scoop about 2 tbsp of buttered rum mixture into each mug. Fill up the mug about 1/3 with rum, then add hot apple cider on top. Mix together and serve.
- Peppermint Hot Chocolate: Heat 1/2 cup whole milk and 1/2 cup heavy cream in a saucepan over low heat. Drop in a candy cane and stir until completely melted. Stir in 3 tbsp sipping chocolate and 1/4 tsp vanilla extract. Turn off heat and add 1 1/2 ounces Kahlua. Pour chocolate mixture into a glass. Top with whipped cream and peppermint candy canes or sprinkles.
- Spiked Salted Caramel Coffee: Add 2 ounces vodka and 2 tsp salted caramel to a coffee mug. Add a bit of half-and-half to mug, then add coffee. Top with whipped cream and drizzle with salted caramel.